Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Nails Driven Home

Last night was my first official NIN concert, as well as my son's first concert ever. I'm not totally sure why I waited 15+ years to see them, and I'm much less of a fan than I used to be in the mid-90's. Their music has changed a bit, but last night I remembered why I was drawn to it all in the first place. It was an excellent show. I didn't think they sounded as well as they should have, especially being at Blossom (a place created for accoustics). However, it was a rockin' good time.

I found a setlist earlier yesterday to get a sneak peek at what they would play, and they ended up playing an alternative list, with about 70% of the songs that were on mine. Here's the list, as far as I can recall.. My Blackberry died before leaving for the show, so I didn't have my usual method of jotting down setlist order... this is from memory:

Somewhat Damaged
You Know What You Are
Terrible Lie
March of the Pigs
Something I Can Never Have
Closer
Non-Entity
(The other non-release new track)
Wish
Burn
Gave Up
Help Me I Am in Hell
Hurt
Only
La Mer
Into the Void
The Big Come Down
Down In It
Suck
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like A Hole

The order in the middle is definitely wrong. This list wasn't nearly as good as the one I had hope to hear. For one, I've heard Hurt live so many times that I wasn't excited to know it was in my show, however it was moving with the ENTIRE crowd singing it. My list didn't have Suck, Hurt, the second "new" track, or Something I Can Never Have. In their places were: The Wretched, Reptile, Get Down Make Love, and Sin. I like all those four better than the replacements.

As usual, I am with most of the Internet crowd when I say I would much rather have heard Last in place of either of the other two Broken tracks (except Wish of course). Happiness in Slavery would have been godly. I don't think i've ever heard that live, and apparently Last has never been played live at all.

The light show was pretty cool. There was a series of panels set up behing the stage (much like the DVD displays) with full motion video and effects dancing across them during the show. They had an unfolding cage-like gate that came down periodically that contained rows of tiny LEDs or maybe bulbs. Often this display matched the one n the panels, just in a very geeky computer-like shadow. The display during the instrumental Help Me.. was particularly cool.

I noticed one of the tour shirts had the NIN log on the back and a list of dates in old Atari font. I believe it was, anyhow. I knew Trent was a geek from way back, and the dated look of the shirt made it a must buy. However, I noticed it too late as I had already bought my shirt. There were a few elements on the shirts that had this old computer look to them. Very cool.

Anyhow, the show was definitely a good time. There was a horrendous storm coming in as we approached Blossom, however it cleared by the time we parked. Getting out was rather humorous. We got stuck in the mud as the grassy lots had turned to swamplands with the downpour. I managed to break free and then got out to help another soul that got his car stuck behind us. When we got home, the coverage of mud on my front end was classic. I tried to hose it off this morning, but it looks hideous. I'll have to seek out a car wash at lunch.

I think Lance had a good time and it was a good intro to his concert-going career. He probably heard a little too many vulgar words, and I thought this after re-listening to much of the setlist in my car, but he is 14 now. It's not like he hasn't heard a lot of it by now. It was a good father and son event. Going to concerts all these years, it never once crossed my mind that one day I'd be going with my children. It was very, very cool. I have a new concert buddy. Hopefully I can keep him away from the rap music!

No comments: