Monday, April 14, 2003

Just playing with some stuff here.. I used to have a BBS by the same name for many years (1987 - 1994 to be exact). It was an awesome BBS (I thought so). Anyhow.. If anyone remembers BBSs, they were kinda modular in design. All of them had a 'main' menu which allowed you to navigate to subsections with specific material. I am a theme-oriented person when it comes to design and function, so I had a theme running throughout the BBS, based on Voivod concepts. It just fit. Each menu system was a "vortex" and I had names for all areas that evade me now.. but it all fit into the theme. That's the way I will attack this site as well. The blog won't always be the main focus, but for now, it is the main "vortex" page.

I always enjoyed randomness on my BBS, so every time you visited, it would look different. I was constantly changing menus, colors, looks, etc.. Some of the BBS software allowed users to change their prompt templates and almost always the way their messages appeared in the message base areas. To keep with this design, I have employed a random quote javascript which pulls from a .js file containing all the quotes and displays them upon page load. If I get proficient enough with some JS, maybe I'll allow people to add their own quotes. I know this is easily possible with PHP, but I'm taking this one step at a time. With PHP and MySQL you can create a small database to handle all that... Oh yeah, the quotes won't make sense to most people, unless you happen to know the songs they are from. I tend to pick the most twisted passages from the music I listen to ;)

I also tore apart the template for this blog (this doesn't help my viewers any, just me) and put the style codes into a separate file so I can call it from any page. I've kinda decided the current look is good enough to use on any page, barring any font/color changes that can easily be changed via the style sheet.

No comments: